Correctly installed turbos make significant contributions to performance, fuel efficiency and emissions control, but incorrect fitting can have serious, potentially harmful consequences, including ECU conflict and major engine damage.
Here are just a few of the steps that a specialist turbo installer will undertake as part of the replacement process:
- Change engine oil and filter to OE specification
- Remove engine sump and clean thoroughly before refitting
- Clean turbo oil inlet
- Replace feed and drainline pipes to ensure unrestricted oil flow
- Prime turbo with new, clean oil before reconnecting oil inlet pipe
- Replace air filter
- Replace gaskets as per original specification
- Test turbo at engine idle for a few minutes before increasing speed
- Road test and recheck all connections
These are just a few of the steps that experts take in fitting a new turbo…remember considerable engine damage can be caused through incorrect installation, so always consult a professional.